Wednesday 27 March 2013

First post, first haul!

Hi everyone, and welcome to the first post of Dancing in my PJs Crafts! 

I'm super excited to be blogging my crafting and sewing adventures, and it'll be awesome having you all along with me. 

I'm starting this blog off with a bang - a multi-fabric haul :D

I went to the $2 Clothing Warehouse today (its a big second hand clothing store, and everything in it is $2) to try and find some new jeans; the weather is starting to get colder, and I can't afford a new pair of jeans at $29.99-$49.99 a pair (being a poor student sucks!), so a couple of $2 second hand pairs seems a brilliant option. Having found the jeans, I had a wee wander around the warehouse, and...well then I accidentally spent $12 on random amounts of fabric. But, to be fair, considering how I'd barely get 1m of decent fabric for $12 in an actual fabric store, I'm pretty happy with my purchases. 

Here's what I got:

Starting in the bottom left corner, we have a Cathay Pacific flight blanket in a dark green and black mix (which while it isn't very big, it should make a cute wee skirt); an icecream pastel green duvet cover with a ribbon pattern in white, dark red-pink, yellow, and light pink; a long piece of curtain fabric in an olive green with a verticle floral panel; a blue, white and green striped duvet, which on the reverse is a different blue and white striped print; a black and white houndstooth skirt which I'm going to cut up and make something else from; and then, in the centre, my absolute favourite of the haul, a wool/acrylic combo in light grey with a wide tartan in fluro pink, fluro blue and white. It is freaking impressive. 

Thus far, I have no set plan of what these will become. The duvet covers will probably become dresses, the dark green and the houndstooth will most likely be skirts, and the amazeballs grey/fluro number will most likely become an awesome jacket. It isn't particularly heavy, so it'l definitely need to be lined with something fairly sturdy, I'm thinking a bright pink lining to match the bright pink stripes (which are practically fluro in person, which I think is really awesome for autumn/winter, as it brightens everything up, while still being practical. I'm usually fairly against stereotyping fabrics and clothing to one season or another, so I'm looking forward to what I can make out of these. In preparation of making dresses and skirts, I also bought two new pairs of think 70 denier tights when I was out, both in black, so they'll make even dresses or skirts much more wearable. 

So, for a first post, I'm pretty pleased with that! I may end up making up something out of one of these fabrics tonight, and if I do I'll be sure to let you all see. 

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment